What's an astronaut's favorite dessert? A Marsbar. What's our favorite dessert? Definitely our DIY galaxy ice cream.
We promise, it is not as hard to make as you think. You really only need three ingredients to make the ice cream batter, which is the most important part anyway. The recipe is as follows:
-2 cups heavy whipping cream
-1 8oz can sweetened condensed milk
-1 tbsp vanilla
-Food coloring of choice (I chose purple, pink and blue.)
-Silver sprinkles (optional, but a great touch)
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat whipping cream on medium until soft peaks form. (You can use a stand mixer or a hand mixer. I just felt that the electric mixer was easier.)
2. Once soft peaks form, add in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla and mix until well combined.
3. Separate ice cream batter into bowls, and color as desired (Feel free to use as many colors as you want, I decided to stick to three to avoid too much blending of colors.)
4. Combine each color into a large container, one scoop at a time until colors are well blended.
5. Sprinkle with silver edible flakes! (Optional, but they do give more of a galaxy feel.)
6. Freeze for at least 6 hours, but the longer the better. Enjoy!
Now we decided to invest in black food coloring instead of trying to mix a bunch of colors together in hopes of black eventually emerging. But, our black turned out to be more of a deep purple, which is still pretty galactic. There's no right or wrong way to coloring your batter, so have fun with it.
I'd say the most challenging part of the recipe was getting all the colors blended together in the pan. I was careful not to mix them too much where everything would turn to a gross brown, but I wanted to mix them enough so the colors weren't completely separated either. My advice: don't rush. Take your time to blend the colors together just the way you want it before freezing it. We promise, this ice cream is out of this world.
If you try out this recipe, let us know how it went in the comments below. And remember to keep checking back with Oola for more fun and easy treats.
Oola, king of food on the web! From recipes for new drinks and fast snacks to foodie tales that will make you laugh-out-loud or wince in awe, Oola is an endless buffet of food and fun.