- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9x9 baking pan with a bit of butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder with a wooden spoon.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg, milk, and butter together with a whisk.
- Gently pour the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients and fold until there is no dry batter left. It’s okay if your batter is still lumpy after folding.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool for about 5-10 minutes and then serve.
- 9x9 baking pan
- wooden spoon