As hard as it seems, it's probably a good idea to look the other way when you see your dog begging for food at the table. There are just so many different foods that can have a negative effect on their health and cause harm. Your dog has a different digestive system than you do, so if you have a dog, do not leave food in a place where he or she can get to them.

Here are just a few of the foods that you should keep away from your four-legged friends.


An avocado cut in half

You may love guac, but your dog will not. Avocados contain a toxin called persin. This fungicidal toxin can cause serious health problems in many animals, including dogs. In large doses (though experts don't really know how high), persin can be lethal to dogs and other animals.

Dogs can develop an upset stomach, breathing difficulties, and fluid buildup in the chest after eating an avocado. Also, the pit is slippery and can easily be swallowed by a dog.



Onions, like leeks and chives, are part of a family of plants known as allium which are poisonous to most pets. This compound damages red blood cells in dogs and can cause them to rupture. Other side effects include vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, and nausea.

After eating onions, a dog will move around less and become weaker. If the dog has eaten too many onions, a blood transfusion may be necessary.


Dark chocolate

You've probably already heard that chocolate is bad for your dog, and the common belief is true.

The caffeine and theobromine in chocolate is toxic to dogs, and can cause vomiting, dehydration, seizures, and death among other negative side effects. Signs of chocolate poisoning typically appear within 6 to 12 hours after your dog has ingested chocolate, and symptoms may last up to 72 hours. These symptoms included vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and even death.

While all chocolate is dangerous for dogs, darker chocolate is the most toxic with white chocolate being the safest.


Bacon in a skillet

As hard as it may be to tell a begging dog no, you shouldn't give your dog a slice of bacon or other processed meats for that matter.

The World Health Organization found in 2015 that processed meats like bacon were carcinogens linked to cancer. Bacon is also incredibly fatty with high levels of salt, which can be hard on your dog's digestive system. Large amounts of bacon can even cause pancreatitis, a sometimes fatal condition.

Macadamia Nuts

Shelled macadamia nuts

Scientists have only recently discovered that macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs. Although the exact reason for the toxic reaction is still unknown, dogs that have eaten macadamia nuts will experience weakness or inability to walk, especially in their hind legs.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals says that in most cases, the side effects are mild and can be managed at home, but some dogs may require an emergency trip to your veterinarian.


Milk on a table

Like humans, dogs will drink their mother's milk after being born, but lose the enzymes to break it down as they grow older. Drinking milk can cause severe gastrointestinal problems in dogs, and even bacterial exposure that could eventually lead to death.

It's okay to give your dog a few tablespoons of milk on occasion, but you should refrain from giving your dog an entire bowl of milk in one sitting unless you want to deal with diarrhea, vomiting, and other issues.


An assortment of cheeses

Like milk, dogs don't have the enzymes to break down cheese, so it can cause diarrhea and vomiting if a dog eats it in excess.

Sugarless Gum


If you love chewing on sugar-free gum, just be sure you keep it away from your dog. Most sugarless gum contains the artificial sweetener Xylitol, which can cause liver damage in dogs. In addition, Xylitol can cause a life-threatening drop in blood sugar in dogs.

In the event you think your dog has gotten into a pack of sugar-free gum, look at for these symptoms: lethargy, vomiting, loss of coordination, collapse, seizures.


A man holding grapes

The severity of symptoms vary between dogs, but grapes have been known to cause kidney failure, which can lead to an untimely death.

Most veterinarians will tell you to try and induce vomiting but only if your dog is not having trouble breathing, showing signs of stress, or has become unconscious. If your dog shows any of those signs, seek immediate care.



Since raisins are just dried grapes, they have the same toxic effects on dogs. Raisins can cause dehydration, vomiting, and kidney failure in dogs who eat them.

Follow the same precautions with raisins as you would with grapes.

Yeast Dough


The yeast dough used to make bread can ferment in a dog's stomach and become toxic. It can also expand in the dog's stomach, which can cause bloat.

The real danger, however, is from the alcohol toxicosis, which can lead to a depressed central nervous system, weakness, hypothermia, seizures, and a coma.



Garlic is part of the allium family, so it's another no-no for dogs. Similar to the effects of onions, dogs will become more lethargic after eating garlic and may need a blood transfusion. Garlic is considered to be around 5-times stronger than onions or leeks.

Make sure to look out for nausea, excessive drooling, abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea if you fear your dog ate too much garlic. Other signs include pale gums, increased heart rate, weakness, and collapse.

It should be noted that signs of garlic poisoning can go unnoticed for several days before they become apparent.

Apple Cores

An apple with slice cut out

Although it is safe for dogs to eat apples (they're an excellent source of vitamins A and C), you should remove the seeds and cores before serving them to your four-legged friends.

Be extra careful not to leave apple cores lying around if you have a dog. Apple seeds actually contain cyanide, which can induce seizures, hyperventilation, and even comas in dogs. In addition to being poisonous, apple cores also pose a chocking hazard for dogs.


A glass of beer

Hopefully this isn't a common thing, but please don't, don't, don't give your dog [alcohol]( While most people probably are sharing a cold one with their four-legged friends after a long day of work, there's probably someone out there who likes to kick back and relax with their pet dog on occasion. Don't be that guy.

Dogs can't handle the chemical makeup of alcohol like humans and can even end up in the pet hospital for over-consuming.

The effects of alcohol on dogs isn't reserved for just beer, wine, or other spirits, as household products like vanilla extract and mouthwash typically contain alcohol. Make sure to play it safe and keep those out of reach of your dog.

11 Unique And Thoughtful Sympathy Gifts That Aren't Flowers 11 Unique And Thoughtful Sympathy Gifts That Aren't Flowers
Here's Where To Buy The Dress Everyone Is Obsessed With This Summer Here's Where To Buy The Dress Everyone Is Obsessed With This Summer
Lemon Ginger Tea Benefits and How to Make It at Home Lemon Ginger Tea Benefits and How to Make It at Home