Whether you are looking to replace your iron, or you need an easy way to ensure your clothes look freshly pressed while traveling, it might be time to look into purchasing a clothes steamer. They are a great alternative to irons in many situations, and can even help you smooth out wrinkles in the hard-to-iron locations such as shirt sleeves and around pockets. While an iron may always be necessary for certain tasks, you won't go wrong having a steamer in the house for when the occasion arises. Here are our top steamer picks to help your search run more smoothly.
The Best Clothes Steamers
The Hilife clothes steamer is great for a number of use cases. The unit is small and easy to pack into a suitcase when traveling; just add water from your hotel room and you will look freshly pressed for your business meetings, weddings, or a night on the town. It is also great to keep around the house as it's easy to store and quickly remove wrinkles from your garments without having to haul out the ironing board and iron.
Plus, it is so simply to use -- one press of a button and and its go time. We also love that the steamer is multifunctional and is great for cleaning furniture or removing messes from walls!
Thanks to 700 watts of steaming power, you get quite a punch in a small package.
- Heats up quickly
- Perfect for traveling
- Works for removing wrinkles or cleaning
- Smaller size doesn't produce as much steam as other options
- 9.2 ft power cord adds flexibility
- 15 minutes of continuous, powerful steaming
- Easy to view water reservoir
- Simple to use switch
- Brand: Hilife
- Dimension: 12.2 x 8.4 x 6.8 inches
- Weight: 1.7 pounds
- Water Tank Capacity: 240ml (8oz)
- Power: 700 watts
Another great option for travel or quick access in the home in the luxury edition steamer from iSteam. What makes it luxury you ask? It is all the power and features capable in such a small package!
The ultimate generation technology nano polymer filter not only purifies water to keep your clothes clean and fresh while steaming, but it prevents mineral buildup for continued superior use. We also love this filter if you plan on doubling your clothes steamer for a beauty product. That's right, bring the spa home with a lovely steam facial, the heat of which helps to open pores and makes your normal cleansing products more effective.
What really sets this unit apart is the 360 degree steaming that the internal electric pump provides. Whereas most steamers require you to use them in a specific position, you can use the iSteam at any angle and not worry about leaks thanks to spill-proof technology!
While the water reservoir is smaller than other options on our list, it does heat up quickly, in about 25 sections, and will deliver up to 10 minutes of continuous steam.
- Heats up in only 25 seconds
- Multifunctional -- can use as a beauty tool thanks to included filter
- Easy to transport and store
- Smaller reservoir than other options on list
- Automatic shutoff when unit is too hot or low on water
- Authorized by TSA for travel
- 360 degree steaming abilities
- 10 minutes of continuous use
- Nano polymer filter
- Brand: iSteam
- Dimensions: 9 x 6.5 x 4.4 inches
- Weight: 1.59 pounds
- Water Tank Capacity: 120ml (4oz)
- Power: 900 watts
If you're looking for a more heavy duty option, then be sure to check out this great full-sized steamer from PurSteam. The removable tank can hold over a half gallon of water, meaning it has plenty of steaming capabilities to tackle that whole load of laundry. We also love the adjustable steam levels that can easily tackle a wide range of fabrics without causing damage.
The water tank sits in a base with reinforced ABS wheels for durable and easy transport, while the telescopic pool and woven steam hose makes hanging and steaming any size or length item easy.
For added safety, the burn prevention cap on the water tank prevents opening when there is hot water or steam inside, a nice bonus!
- Large tank for large projects
- Four steam settings for different fabric types
- Works on multiple surfaces including furniture and counters
- Not as easy to store
- Four steam levels
- Telescopic pole with garment hanger
- Woven hose and fabric brush
- Wheels for easy movement
- Safety cap on water tank to prevent burns
- Brand: PurSteam
- Unit Dimensions: 18.5 x 12.5 x 12 inches
- Max Height: 65.4 inches
- Weight: 2.2 pounds
- Water Tank Capacity: 2.2 liters (74.4 oz)
- Power: 1200 watts
The BEAUTURAL steamer is a small, lightweight handheld steamer that uses pump-steam action for multi-directional steaming without leaking! It is safe to use on a wide range of fabrics, including cotton, silk, velvet, polyester and more.
The detachable tank holds enough water for 15 minutes of continuous steaming, plenty of time to quickly smooth out wrinkles of your shirt before work or to deep clean the couch.
An added bonus is the included attachments that makes tackling a number of projects a cinch. A fabric brush is great to get out dirt and dust from deep inside fabrics, a must while cleaning, while the lint brush remove visible particles and hair from fabric as it steams smooth, combining two chores into one! A creaser brush is the perfect tool for creating and maintaining pleats and folds so your clothes and you always look polished.
- Powerful for the size
- Doesn't drip when tipped over
- Heats quickly, ready to go in 30 seconds
- Only one steam level
- Pump steam for leak-proof vertical and horizontal steaming
- Includes fabric brush, creaser, and lint brush
- 15 minutes of continuous steaming
- Safe to use on all fabrics
- Automatic shut-off when overheated or not in use for 8 minutes
- Brand: BEAUTURAL
- Dimensions: 6 x 4.3 x 10.7 inches
- Weight: 2.09 pounds
- Water Tank Capacity: 260 ml (8.8 oz)
- Power: 1200 watts
This steamer from Rowenta packs some serious power, 1600 watts to be exact, to tackle all your steaming needs. The heated metal faceplate aids in removing stubborn wrinkles, but be sure to be extra careful when in use to avoid potential burns.
We love that it has both a delicate and turbo mode, providing a gentle gust of steam for lighter fabrics while bringing the powerful for thick materials. Ready for use in 40 seconds, the removable tank can provide up to 10 minutes of continuous steam, while the extra long 9.84 foot power cord adds flexibility.
The powerful steamer also makes a great cleaning tool, killing 99.9% of germs, dust mites and bacteria, and comes equipped with a number of accesories, including fabric brush designed to use with heavier fabrics, a steam bonnet to use with delicate fabrics, a crease attachment, and a door hook to make steaming easier!
- Powerful, can get out the deepest wrinkles and is great for cleaning
- Added accessories aid in a number of use cases
- Heated faceplate great for thick fabrics
- Heavier than many other handhelds
- Two steam settings -- delicate and turbo
- Automatic shut-off after 8 minutes of inactivity
- 10 minutes of continuous steaming
- Heated faceplate to aid in stubborn wrinkle removal
- Includes a fabric brush, crease attachment, steam bonnet, and door hook
- Brand: Rowenta
- Dimensions: 8 x 6 x 11 inches
- Weight: 3 pounds
- Water Tank Capacity: 200 ml (6.8 oz)
- Power: 1600 watts
For large jobs, this steamer from Conair provides up to 90 minutes of continuous steam thanks to its large capacity water tank! Preheating in 45 seconds, we love the cool touch T-nozzle that helps prevents accidental burns while in action. Another handy feature is the pause button so you can easily adjust clothing or move to another part of the house to clean without wasting precious steam.
The 5 foot insulated hose keeps the heat inside, resulting in a cool touch exterior for added safety, while the telescopic pole can easily be adjusted to any desired height. We're a fan of the 360-degree rotating hanger with clips at both ends that helps to keep fabric taut and easier to steam.
- Great for steaming many garments or cleaning the whole house
- Heats quickly -- ready to go in 45 seconds
- Two sets of clips for keeping clothing taut
- Only one steam setting
- 5-foot cool touch insulated hose
- Adjustable telescopic pole
- 360° hanger with clips
- Cool touch T-nozzle
- Pause button
- 90 minutes continuous use
- Brand: Conair
- Dimensions: 14.2 x 17.5 x 17 inches
- Weight: 10.4 pounds
- Water Tank Capacity: 2.4 liters (80 oz)
- Power: 1500 watts
Clothes Steamer Buying Guide
When looking for a clothes steamer for your life, make sure that you know what your needs are before making your purchase. Steamers come in various sizes and with unique features that help them stand out in the crowd. Steam power, water reservoir, and available attachments are all important factors to consider when making a steamer purchase.
The size of steamers is variable and the water reservoirs that feed the required steam vary proportionally to their size. You have to make the choice between a small, portable device that needs to be refilled regularly, and a larger more stationary device that can run for much longer. If you are looking to replace your iron at home, you should definitely opt for a larger device so that you do not need to refill as often. It is understandable to assume that a unit that is approximately the same size as your current iron would be sufficient, but steaming clothes and using a hot plate iron — even with a steaming option — are not equivalent and more steam is needed per item when working in isolation from a hot iron. Small, portable devices are great for travel and will keep your business suits and night-on-the-town outfits looking great.
One other item to consider is the water that can be used with the product. Most devices require distilled water to prevent mineral buildup. However, some options include an internal filter for this specific purpose to allow you to use straight tap water.
If you will be working with a variety of fabrics, it may be helpful to have more than one steam setting available to you as some materials are more or less responsive to steaming. If this is important to you, find a unit with a variable steam control option. This is generally less important in travel steamers, but if this does concern you based on the fabrics of the clothes that you wear, look into the models that have what you need.
Some materials, such as suede, can benefit from the use of a brush to loosen the residue and dirt on the fibers without damaging the material itself. Another handy option is a creaser to help with the creasers that are simple to make with a traditional iron, but more problematic with a steamer. Additionally, ensure that the attachments are of a quality that will not snag or otherwise damage your clothing. Find a unit that provides an attachment that suits your needs.