There’s nothing quite like waking up to the scent of freshly brewed coffee in the morning! Whether you’re a multiple cups per day person or strictly a decaf drinker, there are endless ways to customize your morning cup to your tastes. We’ve rounded up some of the best coffee makers and found that there’s truly a machine for every type of coffee lover.
The Best Coffee Makers
For a coffee maker that does it all, look no further than the Hamilton Beach 2-Way Coffee Maker. You can brew a single cup for busy, on the go mornings or a full 12-cup pot for weekends or when you need that extra bit of caffeine. The brew strength is adjustable if you prefer slightly stronger coffee, and we love that it’s fully programmable so you can wake up to hot coffee. With so many customizable options, this coffee maker is a great choice for a family with different coffee preferences.
- Easy to set up the night before so you can wake up to brewed coffee
- The single serve side makes it possible to brew a great tasting, single cup of coffee without setting up the entire carafe
- Auto shutoff gives peace of mind during busy mornings
- Single serve brewer is not compatible with K-Cups
- Should be frequently cleaned with vinegar to keep water lines clear
- Brew a single cup or a 12-cup carafe
- Fully programmable with adjustable brew strength
- Keep warm plate with auto shutoff
- Regular and bold brew options
- Brand: Hamilton Beach
- Weight: 10 pounds
- Dimensions: 10.63 x 12.2 x 13.7 in
If you’re someone who likes to brew a full pot of coffee every morning, the Cuisinart 12 Cup Programmable Coffee Maker will help you get a delicious pot of coffee every time. With programmable options that allow you to set up your brew the night before, you can wake up to the fresh smell of a fully brewed pot. We love the adjustable heating plate so you can keep your coffee at the perfect temperature. This coffee maker is BPA free and includes a charcoal filter to remove impurities and ensure your coffee always tastes great.
- Included filters help keep flavors pure and strong
- Can easily keep your coffee at the preferred temperature
- A 1-4 cup feature makes it quick and easy to brew smaller amounts without diluting flavor
- Comes in a variety of attractive colors and finishes
- Needs regular cleaning to ensure the machine runs smoothly
- All of the various buttons and settings may take some experimentation and getting used to
- Brew pause feature allows you to pour a cup before brewing is completed
- Adjustable warming plate with 3 settings
- Fully programmable with auto shutoff
- Self cleaning feature
- Brand: Cuisinart
- Weight: 6.8 pounds
- Dimensions: 7.8 x 9 x 14 inches
Are you someone who loves your morning brew to be as hot as possible? This Ninja brewer makes it happen with an advanced boiler to get you a piping hot cup. This programmable 12-cup brewer also has an adjustable warming plate for keeping your coffee hot throughout the morning. We’re big fans of the removable water reservoir for easy filling, and the built in filter -- no more worrying about running out of paper filters again! The brewer also allows you to adjust the brew strength and makes it easy to brew smaller batches of coffee without diluting the flavor.
- Removable reservoir helps prevent spills and messes when filling
- Built in filter means no more running out of disposable filters
- Thermal flavor extraction enables even heating and saturation for consistent flavor
- Taller than some models, so may not fit under kitchen cabinets
- The reusable filter needs to be regularly cleaned and is not as convenient as throwing away paper filters
- Brew pause feature for pouring a cup mid-brew
- Adjustable warming plate with auto shutoff
- Choose classic or rich brew strength
- Removable water reservoir and permanent filter
- Self cleaning feature
- Brand: Ninja
- Weight: 6.48 pounds
- Dimensions: 8.74 x 9.94 x 14.61 inches
For some, a morning cup of coffee is a very straightforward affair and they don’t want complicated machines or methods to get their caffeine fix. If this is the case for you, we recommend the Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Coffee Maker with a classic design and functionality. Mr. Coffee is a staple in the coffee maker business for a reason, and they focus on straightforward features that make brewing a breeze. This machine features a dual water window for easy filling and to eliminate overflow. It also has a lift and clean filter basket for easy cleaning and disposal. If all you want to do in the morning is fill your machine and hit the power button, this is the machine for you!
- Simple and easy to use machine with a simple on/off button - can be used by anyone!
- More compact with a cord storage system, great if you don’t want to keep this machine on your counter
- No auto shutoff means you need to remember to power the machine down
- Less control over brew strength or temperature
- Dual water window for easy filling
- Lift and clean filter basket
- Brew pause feature allows you to pour before the pot is finished
- Easy to see power light lets you know when the machine is on
- Brand: Mr. Coffee
- Weight: 3.6 pounds
- Dimensions: 8.43 x 11.76 x 12.56 inches
K-Cups have exploded in popularity because the variety of brew strengths and flavors as well as the convenient single-use design makes customizing and brewing a cup of coffee quick and easy. This mini coffee maker from Keurig features a super slim design, so it won’t take up much space on your counter. It fits a variety of cup and mug sizes and the oversize drip tray helps keep things nice and clean. We also like the energy saving functionality - it automatically shuts off 90 seconds after brewing a cup so you don’t have to worry about forgetting to turn it off! Use with your favorite K-Cup flavors, or choose fresh ground coffee with a reusable K-Cup filter.
- Quick and efficient for one-cup brewing
- Slim and compact design is perfect for small spaces
- Oversize drip tray can hold a full accidental brew for those chaotic mornings
- Use with your favorite K-Cups to make not just coffee but tea, hot cocoa, and iced beverages
- If you want more than one cup, you’ll need to refill the water reservoir each time
- Can only brew up to 12 ounces and may not fit larger travel mugs
- Compact - less than 5 inches wide
- Works with all K-Cups and the reusable K-Cup filter
- Auto off feature shuts down machine 90 seconds after last use
- Fits travel mugs up to 7 inches tall
- Brand: Keurig
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Dimensions: 6.1 x 13.6 x 14.7 inches
The cold brew craze isn’t slowing down anytime soon and coffee lovers everywhere have fallen in love with the rich, smooth taste you get from using this brew method. Luckily for us, it’s easy to make delicious cold brew at home with this cold brew coffee maker. Cold brewing creates a cup that’s less acidic than a traditional cup of coffee and just because you use the cold brew method doesn’t mean the coffee can’t be heated - it’s wonderful warmed up! This cold brew maker yields 4 cups of cold brew concentrate and the fine mesh filter ensures no grounds end up in your cup. The pitcher is also BPA-free for peace of mind.
- Cold brewing method produces a smoother, richer and less acidic cup of coffee
- Coffee can be enjoyed hot or cold
- The pitcher and mesh filter can also be used to make tea or infused water
- Easy to clean and maintain - no worrying about clogged or leaking water lines
- Cold brew takes time and planning compared to other brew methods - it needs to steep at least overnight
- No fill line on the pitcher can make it difficult to exactly measure how much water you need
- BPA-free container is shatterproof and dishwasher safe
- Non-slip grip silicone handle and airtight lid ensures no leaking
- Fine mesh filter prevents grounds from entering coffee
- Holds up to 32 ounces to make 4 cups of cold brew concentrate
- Brand: Takeya
- Weight: 1.3 pounds
- Dimensions: 5 x 7.5 x 9.5 inches
French press coffee is a classic and delicious way to get fresh-ground coffee flavor using only a few steps. This method is a bit more manual than other machines, but it yields consistent and smooth results and allows you to use any ground coffee of your choice. This french press from Mueller features double layered stainless steel which keeps our coffee hotter for much longer than other models. We also like the triple layer filter which catches even the finest of coffee grinds to ensure they don’t end up in the bottom of your cup. Easily make piping hot coffee, cold brew, iced tea and other infused beverages with this pitcher!
- Fine mesh filters prevent grounds from getting your coffee - a common complaint with this brew method
- Stainless steel is rust proof and drop proof - no more shattered glass pitchers
- The attractive pitcher can easily double as a water carafe
- The fine mesh means more muscle is needed when plunging the coffee grounds
- No water marker on the pitcher can make it difficult to measure
- Double layer stainless steel with a cool touch handle
- Triple filter system to trap coffee grounds
- Holds 34 ounces of water and coffee grounds
- Brand: Mueller
- Weight: 2.2 pounds
- Dimensions: 12.3 x 6.2 x 5.2 inches
Our Coffee Makers Guide
Making a morning cup of coffee is a daily ritual for most, and we want to make it easy to customize your cup. There are so many brew methods out there and it can be tough to decide which one works best for you. Some coffee purists prefer more hands on methods like a French press or cold brew maker, which require freshly ground coffee, careful measurements, and time. If this is you, be sure to view our top pick for coffee grinders next. Others don’t have the luxury of waiting for coffee to brew in the mornings and prefer a dump and go method with an automatic coffee maker. When choosing which coffee maker is right for you and your family, it’s important to consider taste preferences but also the amount of time you want to put into making your coffee, how often the coffee maker should be cleaned, and whether you prefer to brew a single cup or a full pot.
Before making a decision on a coffee maker, think about your perfect cup of coffee. Is it bold and rich in taste? Is it piping hot or lukewarm? Do you prefer your coffee hot or on ice? These preferences can help steer you towards certain methods and away from others. Some coffee drinkers swear that freshly ground coffee and slower brew methods produce a fuller, tastier cup of coffee. If you’re a coffee purist, we’d recommend a brew method such as a French press, cold brew, or even a pour over. If you’re more focused on function and classic coffee taste, then a standard coffee maker with a carafe will get the job done.
Time is also an important factor to consider when browsing coffee machines. Several machines allow you to set them up the night before and program them so you don’t have to lift a finger in the morning – your coffee is already hot and waiting by the time you need it. If your mornings are hectic and saving time is important, we would not recommend a slower brew method that requires more patience and setup. Even some automatic machines can take several minutes to brew, so be sure to check out programmable options or give your new machine a test run to determine exactly how long a brew takes.
Single Cup Vs Full Pot
If you only have one or two cups of coffee a day it can feel wasteful to brew a full pot. For you, a single serve coffee maker or a machine with a single serve option may be the way to go. But if you enjoy more than one cup or if you have a whole family to caffeinate, a traditional machine with a full 10- or 12-ounce carafe will get the job done. If you have family members with different preferences, a combination machine allows each person to customize their cup and get the amount of coffee they crave.
Cleaning And Maintenance
Most automatic machines that heat the water as part of the brew process require regular cleaning to prevent hard water build up and other deposits from clogging water lines and impacting the flavor of your coffee. If you don’t want to worry about regular cleaning, you should look for a machine with a self-cleaning function or opt for a French press or cold brew pitcher that you can stick in the dishwasher or easily rinse out after each use.
Consider where you’ll be storing your coffee maker. If you use it daily, chances are you’ll want to keep it on your countertop. It’s important to consider the height of the machine so you can ensure it fits under your cabinets, especially if you need to lift a lid to add water. Some combination machines are also wider and can take up more space which wouldn’t be recommended for smaller kitchens or crowded counters.
There are so many different bells and whistles coffee makers can come with. Some to consider are brew pause and auto shutoff for electric machines to save time and energy. Several of the machines we considered also feature temperature control either as part of the brew process or with the warming plate, which is convenient if you want to enjoy your coffee throughout the morning. Also consider whether it’s important that your coffee maker is multi-functional. Some can be used to make not only hot or cold coffee, but also tea, hot chocolate, and other beverages.