Most newer refrigerators come equipped with a built-in ice machine and water tap, which is a convenient way to get clean, filtered drinking water whenever you want it. Using a refrigerator water tap helps save money because you don’t need to worry about buying plastic water bottles, and it’s safer for you and your family because these filters remove harmful contaminants from your drinking water.
For optimal performance and to ensure your water stays clean, you should replace the water filter on a regular basis. When choosing a new filter, it’s very important to find an option that’s compatible with your refrigerator model. We’ve rounded up our top picks for refrigerator water filters, and be sure to check out our buying guide at the end for tips on how to choose the right filter for your fridge!
The Best Refrigerator Water Filter
The EveryDrop refrigerator filter replacement by Whirlpool reduces more than 20 contaminants from your drinking water. It uses a triple filtration technology that helps block or absorb small, medium, and large particles for maximum protection for you and your family. Like most other refrigerator filter replacements it’s easy to install, but make sure you enter your appliance information prior to purchasing to ensure the right fit. This Whirlpool filter boasts that it's the only filter approved by Whirlpool, Maytag and other major appliance brands, so you can be sure it's safe for your refrigerator.
- Powerful filter that removes most lead and 20+ other contaminants from your drinking water
- Trusted by major appliance brands
- Easy to check your model number to ensure proper fit
- One filter can replace up to 1,500 plastic water bottles
- May not last the full 6 months depending on usage and your water source
- Only filter approved by Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana, KitchenAid, and JennAir brands
- Triple filter system removes small, medium, and large particles from your water
- Certified to reduce 99% of lead
- For use in side-by-side, top freezer, and bottom freezer refrigerators which accept Filter 1
- Recommended to replace every 6 months
- Brand: Whirlpool
- Weight: 7.2 ounces
- Dimensions: 2.5 x 2.5 x 8.7 inches
This replacement filter for GE refrigerators features advanced filtration that removes five trace pharmaceuticals that could be present in some tap water, including ibuprofen, progesterone, atenolol, trimethoprim & fluoxetine. The filter also removes 50 other contaminants from your water and is easy to install in your GE refrigerator. This filter has a 6 month life and should be replaced regularly to ensure your water continues to taste great.
- Easy replacement with no water shutoff
- Removes many contaminants, with the added benefit of removing pharmaceuticals that may be in some water supplies
- Only works with GE refrigerators
- Replacement for GE RPWF or RPWFE filters, also works in most GE French door refrigerators
- Removes 50+ contaminants, including 5 trace pharmaceuticals
- Recommended to replace filter every 6 months for best performance
- Easy online guide to ensure it will work your model number
- Brand: GE
- Weight: 8 ounces
- Dimensions: 1.8 x 1.8 x 9.8 inches
The Frigidaire PureSource filter is an upgrade from standard replacement filters thanks to a sure fit and a carbon-based filtration system. This filter is easy to install and because it’s produced by Frigidaire, you can be assured it’ll be a good fit for your appliance. The carbon filter helps remove odd odors and tastes from your water by reducing impurities including lead, nitrates, pesticides, and mercury. The Frigidaire filters are tested and certified so you can feel confident in better water quality for you and your family.
- Easy to install and to check to make sure it will fit in your appliance prior to purchase
- Helps improve the quality, taste, and smell of tap water
- Can last for 6 months to a year depending on usage
- May need to flush the filter with more water than what’s recommended to clear the lines
- Certified by the Water Quality Association
- Tested and certified by NSF International
- Carbon-based replacement refrigerator filter
- Helps reduce lead, nitrates, pesticides, and mercury
- Easy to install and start using
- Brand: Frigidaire
- Weight: 10.1 ounces
- Dimensions: 11.7 x 2.4 x 3.9 inches
This filter is a perfect replacement if you have a LG appliance. The filter removes 97% of chlorine and other contaminants, leaving you with better tasting and smelling drinking water. This filter ought to be replaced every 6 months or 200 gallons. Like other refrigerator filters, installation is easy, just make sure to double check that it’s compatible with your model number.
- Comes in a pack of 2, so you need to order less often
- Very easy to install
- Improves the quality, taste, and smell of your water
- Can leak if not properly installed or if the O ring is missing
- May need to flush the filter when first installed to remove chemical smell
- Removes 97% of chlorine and other chemicals
- Replace every 6 months or 200 gallons
- Easy installation with compatible LG models
- Brand: LG
- Weight: 10.4 ounces
- Dimensions: 1.9 x 1.9 x 7.1 inches
Our Refrigerator Water Filter Guide
In order to keep your refrigerator tap in tip top shape, you should change the filter on a regular basis – typically every 6 months. Luckily, choosing and installing a new water filter is easy. The most important consideration is ensuring you’re buying a filter that’s compatible with the make and model of your appliance so you can be sure to get a good, leak-free fit. Here are a few things to consider before making your purchase:
As mentioned, the most important thing is choosing a filter that’s compatible with your refrigerator. All of the filters we reviewed list the model numbers they are compatible with. If you aren’t sure, you can also visit the manufacturer’s website and see recommendations on which filters to purchase. Making sure the filter lists your model helps ensure a tight, leak-free fit and keeps your appliance running more smoothly.
Most refrigerator water filters are carbon-based, which means they filter out most problem contaminants including lead and other heavy metals. Some models offer more advanced filtration to remove even more contaminants from your drinking water. Typically, carbon-based filters are not as powerful as those utilizing reverse-osmosis or other methods. If you’re looking for a more powerful filter, or if you want to branch out and filter the water from your sink as well, we also have recommendations on under sink water filters.