Many of us don’t think to clean our washing machine. It’s full of soap and hot water most of the time so it should already be clean, right? Wrong. Did you know your washing machine can harbor unthinkable amount of mildew, bacteria, and soap scum? Just know that is enough to make your skin crawl. Here are some tips for getting your washing machine squeaky clean.
What You Will Need
- 4 Cups of White Vinegar or Bleach
- 1 Cup of Baking Soda
- Microfiber Towel
- First, fill the washer by putting it on the largest load and hottest water setting.
- Next, pour in 4 cups of white vinegar or bleach and then add 1 cup of baking soda.
- Close the lid and let the mixture churn for about a minute.
- Then, open the lid to stop the washer and let the mixture sit for about an hour. In the meantime, dip your microfiber towel in the bleach and baking soda mixture and clean areas under the lid and around the drum.
- Use a toothbrush for smaller hard-to-reach areas such as knobs and the rubber door gasket. Be sure to soak any removable parts in soap and water.
- After an hour has passed, close the lid to allow the cycle to complete. The mixture kills bacteria and rids your machine of mildew and odors.
It is recommended that you clean your washing machine every month to keep bacteria at bay. To prevent mold, keep the door open after the laundry is done. Additionally, liquid fabric softeners tend to feed mildew and contribute to odors; therefore, opt for dryer sheets instead.