Mason jar luminaries are a creative way to light up the night. You don’t have to be Martha Stewart to craft a beautiful mason jar luminary. Follow this guide to creating a beachy jar luminary that will compliment your long summer nights.
What You’ll Need
- 1 mason jar
- Seashells (real or artificial)
- Tea lights (flame or electric)
- 1 spool of twine
- Decorative Sand
- Hot glue gun
- First, lay mason jar on its side. Slowly add a thin layer of glue in small increments onto the top of the jar and press twine into the glue. Repeat this process for the entire top edge of the jar.
- Afterward, allow the twine to wrap around the jar by rolling it. You should have 3-4 rows of twine on the top quarter of the jar. On the last row, secure it with hot glue.
- Next, fill the jar 1/ 4 of the way up with your decorative sand.
- If you’re using an electric tea light, place seashells inside of the jar. Use as many shells as you wish, but leave enough room for the tea light. Then, place the tea light in the middle of the jar.
- If you are using a flame tea light, is it a smart idea to not put the seashells inside of the jar for they may catch fire. Therefore, you are free to glue seashells on the top of the twine covered part of the jar.
Ways to Use Your Jar Luminary
Summer Party Decoration
Using tiki torches are a thing of the past, let the stars and your jar luminaries illuminate your night. These decorative jars add to the ambiance of your summer party. Also, they can serve as creative centerpieces for your backyard BBQ. If you’re looking for extra help with planning your summer party, be sure to check out our in-depth guide to party planning.
Don’t just settle a plain ol’ candle holder, lighten up your drab space with a mason jar luminary. The great thing about crafting your own home accent is that the possibilities are endless. You can design it to match your personal style and your home’s decor. If you’re looking for more decorating ideas and ways to elevate your space, check our home decor guide.