Oftentimes when we’re in the kitchen we wonder what the best way is to do something. If you’ve never grilled salmon before or you’re not sure where to start, keep reading to learn the best salmon marinade!
What You’ll Need
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- 3 chopped green onions
- 3 1/2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons of salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until well-stirred. This should take about 30-35 seconds to get everything mixed properly, continue stirring until the marinade is thick and well-blended.
- Pour the mixture over the salmon.
- Place the marinated salmon in a resealable plastic bag and let it refrigerate.
- Keep the marinating salmon in the fridge for 1.5 to 3 hours before cooking.
Given that the plastic bags are going into the fridge and not the freezer, it might be best to keep the bags in some sort of dish in case they leak. If you so choose, you can also choose to place your marinated salmon in a casserole dish and refrigerate for about one and a half to three hours. This is pretty much the sweet spot for marinating salmon because not only does it only take a few hours for salmon to soak in the marinade, but fish is already tender. So, depending on the marinade you use you don’t want to leave the salmon for too long because it’ll get mushy and break apart.
If you’re using an acidic marinade it’s riskier to leave the salmon for too long because the acid will cook the fish if left for too long. If you’re using an acidic marinade then it’s best to marinate salmon for about half an hour before you get cooking.
Of course, you can also tweak the ingredients as you see fit, but this is the best salmon marinade for us!