When people think of the word “flavorful,” they rarely think of tofu. The soft white food doesn’t really hold any taste on its own and this, unfortunately, lumped it into the pile of food to avoid when aiming for dishes loaded with flavor. But, tofu shouldn’t be left out of the mix when you want to make yourself a dinner packed with a seasoned punch. In fact, a tofu scramble joined the ranks of flavorful vegan dishes a long time ago and with good reason.
What Is Tofu Scramble?
If you’re new to the vegan scene than you might be wondering which foods are best used to substitute dishes from your previous diet. While many of us enjoy a good scrambled egg breakfast, those who practice veganism prefer to use tofu instead. Enter the tofu scramble. Naturally, the taste would automatically be different if you just used tofu by its lonesome to replace eggs, but when you create the perfect tofu scramble you’ll be left with a delicious substitute that could pass for the real thing.
How To Make Tofu Scramble
You’re going to need some hefty amounts of seasoning for this one, but it’s nothing you can’t handle and it won’t eat up too much of your time either!
What You’ll Need
- 14 oz of organic, extra-firm tofu
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 small green pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of basil
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
- Place the tofu bricks onto a plate beneath several layers of paper towel. Use a potato masher to break it into smaller pieces. The paper towel will absorb any liquid.
- Add your dry seasoning to a bowl and mix until everything is combined.
- Preheat a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add oil to the pan and sautée the onion and peppers for 4-5 minutes.
- Add your tofu to the pan and gently add seasoning over top.
- Stir for an additional 2-4 minutes until your tofu is hot and colored yellow throughout.
- Serve immediately
Additional Seasoning To Try
What makes this recipe so versatile is that you can season it to your tastes to make it your own. There are several variations of this recipe that all call for different ingredients such as mushrooms, scallions, chili powder, and even maple syrup. Try out the different kinds of tofu scramble out there to see which one suits you best or which one you’d like to build off of. You might be surprised with the season combinations, but that’s all part of the fun of trying new things!
It’s all about how you like your scrambled tofu in the morning!