Who said that golden hash browns were only available in restaurants? We often race to our local McDonald’s or Denny’s for great breakfast potatoes and wonder how to make hash browns from home that will satisfy our rumbling stomachs. But it’s not complicated. Skip the line at your favorite go-to diner and consider making your own hash browns that will be just as big a home run. They’re super simple to make, don’t take a lot of time, and will add a little that crispy golden crunch to your breakfast.
Hash Brown Recipe
This three-ingredient recipe brings flavor filled hash browns to you for a fraction of the cost.
What You’ll Need
- 2 peeled russet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons of canola oil
- Salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes.
- Shred the potatoes using the largest holes of a cheese or box grater.
- Rinse the potatoes in a colander until the water runs clear.
- Wrap the potatoes in multiple layers of cheesecloth or paper towel and squeeze out any excess liquid.
- Preheat your pan over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Once hot, add the canola oil.
- Sprinkle your shredded potatoes onto the pan and season with salt. Let them cook, undisturbed, for 3-5 minutes or until they develop a golden brown crust on the bottom.
- Once golden brown, use a spatula and flip the potatoes to the other side and lightly season with salt.
- Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until the other side turns golden brown.
Other Recipes To Try
The above recipe works if you’re in a rush or need to restock on spices. If you have a little more time or you’d like to try hash browns that are a little more flavorful, you can always sprinkle in ground black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, or cayenne pepper to taste.
You also don’t need to peel your potatoes if you don’t want to. Some choose to, but if you like your potatoes with the skin on them it won’t take away from your meal to have it remain.
No longer do you have to spend money on breakfast when you can make a hearty one for yourself and your family at home. Try out this recipe and an assortment of seasoning to make your hash browns your own!