Butter made from cannabis is a simple and versatile edible idea. Though, its production can be complex. To explain, for its psychoactive properties activated, the herb must be slowly heated at a low temperature. Heating cannabis at the wrong temperature could degrade or even destroy it. If you’re worried about successfully making a batch of cannabutter without obliterating its medicinal effects, just follow this easy step-by-step guide.
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup of decarboxylated ground cannabis
- Baking Sheet
- Wax paper or parchment paper
How To Make Cannabutter
Decarboxylating Your Cannabis
The first thing you will have to do is decarboxylate the cannabis you are cooking with. Decarboxylating is the process of drying of your cannabis which converts the non-intoxicating compound THCA into the medicinal THC.
- Preheat your oven to 245ºF.
- Then, place the cannabis on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, slightly shaking the tray every 10 minutes to evenly heat the buds.
Infusing Cannabis with Butter
- With a hand grinder or coffee grinder, grind your cannabis.
- Add 1 cup of water and 1 cup of butter in a saucepan or pot and let simmer.
- As the butter begins to melt, pour in ground cannabis.
- Let the mixture simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. It is important that it does not come to a full boil.
Straining Cannabis Butter
- Once it has simmered, it is now time to strain it.
- First, place a funnel lined with a cheesecloth over a glass jar.
- Pour cannabis butter over the funnel.
- Finally, refrigerate the jar of butter.
Using Your Cannabutter
Cannabutter can be used like regular non-intoxicating butter. You can either slather it on a piece of toast in the morning or pour it over freshly popped popcorn. Here are a couple of ideas for your cannabutter.
Peanut Butter Cookies with a Twist
Peanut butter cookies alone are awesome but why not add to their greatness with a little cannabis? The recipe for these cookies are similar to the original one, just swap regular butter for softened cannabutter. If you’re interested in making a batch of your own, follow this recipe.
Mac ‘N Cheese
This is a favorite comfort food for many with its cheesy goodness. You can increase its comfort factor by adding cannabutter. Try out this recipe for a smoky mac cheese.
There’s nothing like a bowl of al dente pasta infused with cannabis. This Italian-style cannabis dish is a quick and easy way to make dinner using your cannabutter. While you’re at it, feel free to serve it with cannabutter garlic bread.