The skinny margarita is the same as a regular margarita, just without all the calories. It is a great option for those who don’t want to give up drinking but who also would rather not have inches added to their waistline. Like the traditional margarita, the skinny margarita isn’t necessarily packed with nutritious ingredients but doesn’t skimp on taste either.
The light, refreshing crispness that you get with a skinny margarita is just as enjoyable as a regular one, however, it’s typically less sweet as it’s counterpart. Although a skinny margarita may be lighter vs. a mainstream margarita, the only real nourishment comes from the vitamin C and the salt, if added to the rim, but overall there is less alcohol. The skinny margarita can be paired with a variety of your favorite meals and snacks, and is a delicious replacement for when you want something tasty without the guilt.
Silver Or Gold Tequila?
The best tequilas to use for your margaritas are usually labeled silver or gold. Silver is the most widely used and blends well with the other flavors, due to its clean, neutral taste, which will be used in the following recipe. However, if you desire more of an aged flavor, then gold is the way to go and you may substitute that in as opposed to the silver if you wish. Gold tequila evokes spicy notes of caramel and cinnamon, which lends a more sophisticated blend.
Overall, your margarita shouldn’t be too sweet, so try to go easy on the agave to avoid a sticky consistency. Instead, your margarita should be a perfect amalgamation of flavors- The tartness of the lime, the sweetness of the agave, the saltiness on the rim, as well as the smooth flavor of the tequila.
What You’ll Need
- A dash of coarse Kosher or sea salt
- ¼ cup of silver tequila
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon of light agave nectar
- 1 lime wedge for garnish
- A margarita glass
- Cocktail shaker
How to Make It
1. On a small plate, pour a layer of kosher or sea salt on plate. Slice a lime wedge and run the juice along the rim of the margarita glass. Then take your margarita glass and roll it at a 45-degree angle around the sea salt, so that it catches on the rim of the glass. The rim of the glass should be evenly coated with the sea salt. Then set aside.
2. Fill a small cocktail shaker about halfway with ice.
3. Pour in the tequila, fresh lime juice, agave nectar and orange juice.
4. Place lid onto shaker and shake for about 30 minutes, until mixture is completely blended.
5. Strain mixture into your glass and enjoy!
Skinny margaritas are delicious and have a unique flavor like no other cocktail. With a blend of fresh, inspiring ingredients, this skinny margarita is high on flavor and low on calories.