Do you remember the days of pressing cookie cutters into raw dough to make sugar cookies? There was nothing to top the feeling of making cookies into whatever shape you wanted and decorating them however your little heart desired. Well, who’s to say that the fun needs to stop at childhood? Take a trip down Memory Lane and bake yourself a fresh batch of sugar cookies! Even if you never learned how to make sugar cookies you don’t need to worry because we’re going to teach you how to make these classic cookies.
Sugar Cookie Recipe
What You’ll Need
- 2 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the butter and sugar to a bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves. Once the mixture becomes fluffy add the vanilla and egg.
- Stir the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder in a separate bowl. Once everything is combined, add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar. Stir well until everything is combined.
- Sprinkle a cutting board lightly with flour and roll the cookie dough flat, but not too thin. Grab your cookie cutters and cut into the dough to make whichever shape you’d like.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the bottoms of the cookies turn a golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before decorating.
Bear in mind that you don’t need to use cookie cutters if you don’t have any around the house. If you’d like to make a traditional round sugar cookie then all you need to do is take your cookie dough by the teaspoonful and roll them into balls. Once they’re properly packed you can place them on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cook for the same amount of time.
You can also make your own sugar cookie icing or use cookie frosting from the store. It’s entirely up to you and you’ll still be able to decorate however you like. Be sure to grab some sprinkles for added pizzaz!
Sugar cookies have been the way to people’s hearts for years and it’s not hard to see why. They’re simple to make, they’re traditional, and they can reflect the baker’s personality depending on how they’re decorated. Everyone can have fun with these cookies, especially the person who makes them! Slather on the icing, add pinches of sprinkles, or go nuts with the shapes you use to make these cookies your own.