I know that we’ve all had the classic kinds of pie before; apple pie, cherry pie, and pumpkin pie are the must-have desserts at parties and family dinners. But, there are so many other pie flavors out there that it would be heresy to just stick to a few. The lemon meringue pie is a dish that has satisfied sweet cravings for years and it deserves a place among the ranks of the best-known pies. Take a look at this easy lemon meringue pie recipe and make your friends and family savor every bite.
How To Make A Lemon Meringue Pie
What You’ll Need For The Filling
- 1 whole, cooled pie crust
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of cold water
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- 1/3 cup of cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
What You’ll Need For The Meringue
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Steps For Making The Filling
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and set them aside until you need them later.
- Combine the salt, water, cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a medium saucepan. Whisk together over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture becomes thick and starts to boil.
- Once the mixture has become thick, remove from heat. Pour about half of the mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks, whisking constantly.
- Take the bowl full of egg yolks and the mixture and re-add it to the saucepan.
- Bring the entire thing to a boil, whisking constantly. Stir in butter until everything is combined and remove from heat.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust and cover with plastic wrap or greased parchment paper.
Steps For Making The Meringue
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until everything becomes foamy.
- Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time and whip until a stiff peak forms.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Spoon the mixture onto your hot pie. Ensure that the meringue is spread evenly and reaches the pie crust.
- Place the pie into the oven and bake for 5-10 minutes or until the meringue becomes golden brown.
- Once this is achieved, remove the pie from the oven and let cool completely at room temperature or refrigerate until completely cooled.
If vanilla isn’t your thing you can omit it without fear that your lemon meringue pie will suffer. You can also add a drop or two of yellow food coloring into the filling mix if you’d like your pie to come out looking extra bright!
Treat yourself right this summer by scooping a big ol’ spoonful of lemon meringue pie into your mouth. Your stomach will thank you, your guests will thank you, and most importantly you’ll thank yourself!