Watermelon is one of the unofficial staples of the American diet during the summer months, and what better way to ring in the warmest season than with one of the most thirst quenching, refreshing fruit there is? Try a watermelon margarita on for size, which will not only tickle your taste buds but will cool you off as the weather heats up.
The margarita is a mix of tequila, triple sec, and lime juice that is typically paired with salt or sugar on the rim of a glass. Sometimes a margarita on the rocks offers just the right amount of chill, while a frozen margarita is a rendition of a chilled treat for grown-ups. However, when you add watermelon, you get something quite like no other cocktail. It’s simple, sweet and its melon flavor blends smoothly with the tangy taste of orange, the velvety taste of tequila, with a salty twist. To make a watermelon margarita, follow the recipe below.
What You’ll Need
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 3 strips of peel orange zest or 3 tablespoons of triple sec
- 2 cups of seeded and cubed ripe watermelon
- 3/4 cups of white tequila
- 1/4 cup of lime juice
- a little salt for rimming the glass
- 1 lime cut into 4 wedges
- 2 cups of crushed or cubed ice
If preparing a non-alcoholic version, simply omit the orange liqueur and tequila.
What To Do
1. In a small saucepan, simmer together sugar, water and orange zest, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved. Allow mixture to come to a boil, then set aside and allow the mixture to cool completely.
2. Place watermelon into a blender or a food processor. Then blend until puréed.
3. In a pitcher, stir together the puréed watermelon, simple syrup, tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice, then stir until mixture is fully blended.
4. Place some salt or sugar onto a small saucer, then rub lime wedge on the rim of your margarita glass. Next, dip the rim of the glass into the salt or sugar, rolling around until the rim is fully coated, then tap off the excess.
5. Filled the rimmed glass with crushed or cubed ice about halfway. Next, pour the watermelon margarita mixture into the glass until just below the brim. Garnish with lime wedge then serve.
Yields 4 servings
Watermelon margaritas are an invigorating summer staple to have on hand to cool you down and quench your thirst. Whether prepared with our favorite meals or as an aperitif, you’ll enjoy this decadent refreshment for many summers to come.