It’s in the middle of the day and you’re already daydreaming about your bed. Don’t reach for another cup of coffee, instead reach for an energizing snack! Store-bought pick-me-ups are fine, but homemade ones are even better. Made with only natural ingredients, these coconut energy bites are easy to make and don’t contain any additives or artificial flavors. Better yet, they don’t contain simple sugars or loads of caffeine. What makes these bars energizing is Medjool dates. Dates are naturally high sugar but also high in fiber, meaning you will feel energized without the dreaded sugar crash. If you’re ready to make this delicious and nutritious snack, follow this recipe.
- 30 Medjool dates
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- Begin by pitting dates, and put them in a food processor along with the cashews and vanilla.
- Blend for on high 2 to 3 minutes.
- After the dates and cashews are blended, add cocoa powder and salt and blend.
- If the mixture is not sticky, then you may have to add a couple of teaspoons of water. It should have the consistency of cookie dough.
- Next, add shredded coconut and blend.
- After your ingredients are mixed well, roll dough into 1-inch balls with the palm of your hands.
- Then, store in a container for up to an hour before serving.
Oats are another powerful and energy boosting food. It is loaded with fiber and essential B-vitamins. Just add one cup of try oats to the recipe.
Another superfood high in satiating fiber is almonds. They also contain anti-inflammatory and heart-healthy omega-3s. You can either swap the cashews for almonds or add it to the recipe to boost the health benefits.
Add some muscle building power to these energy bites with a scoop of protein powder. You can either include flavorless protein powder or chocolate flavored powder. For those who are vegan or lactose intolerant there are vegan-friendly powders out there like Vega plant-based protein powder.