Regular potato chips are high in fat and calories and don’t supply any health benefits. Why not swap it out for a nutrient-packed snack? Beets are known for their vibrant color, and they taste great when baked into crispy chips. The best thing about beet chips is that you can make them at home in 5 simple steps.
- 3 large beets, rinsed and scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Thinly slice beets using a knife and mandoline. The thinner they are, the crispier they will be. An indicator of if they are thin enough is if they curl a little after being cut.
- In a large bowl, toss beets, olive oil, and salt.
- Place beets on a baking sheet, ensuring that they do not touch.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown and crispy. Take out of the oven and let cool.
Tips for Making Perfect Beet Chips
- To make sure your beet chips are extra crispy, each slice should be 1/16th of an inch thick–about the thickness of a nickel.
- Beet chips don’t take long to bake; therefore, keep a close eye on them or they will quickly burn.
- You are not limited to just adding sea salt to your chips. Feel free to add rosemary to the mix.