Whether you’re looking for a sure-fire way to knock the socks off the guests at your next dinner party or simply spoil your family with a special treat, we’ve got five words for you: Ice cream in a bag. Ice cream in a bag is quick and easy to make. And, once you learn how, you can easily customize the sweetness, flavor, and fat content to personalize this delicious dessert.
Best of all, it’s fun to make. In fact, we’re confident that once you learn how to make ice cream in a bag you’ll love it so much you’ll continue making it time and time again.
2 cups half and half
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups of ice
1/3 cup of rock salt
2 Ziploc bags
Customize To Your Tastes:
One of the best things about making ice cream in a bag is how easy it is to customize the recipe to accommodate personal taste or dietary restrictions:
For creamier ice cream, increase the fat content by substituting one of the cups of half and half with heavy cream.
For lighter ice cream use whole milk instead of half and half.
For a vegan version substitute 2 cans of coconut milk or 2 cups of soy milk (coconut milk will be creamier).
You can also add fresh fruit, crushed cookies or a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder to experiment with flavors outside of vanilla.
1. Place the half and half, sugar, and pure vanilla extract into a Ziploc bag.
2. Shake or stir to ensure the ingredients are well mixed.
3. Take a second, larger bag and fill it with the ice and salt.
4. Next, place the smaller bag inside the larger bag. Make sure both bags are sealed. Shake for 10-15 minutes.
5. Don’t do all that shaking on your own! We suggest passing the bags around the table to let everyone in on the fun. Your guests will love watching ice cream appear like magic.
6. Once the ice cream has reached the right consistency in the bag, spoon it into bowls. It can be served plain or with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!