Now that fall is just around the corner, now is the time to stock up on apple recipes that will warm your soul and your tummy. Apples are a popular staple for summer and fall and despite its popular use as a pie, apples can also be used in a variety of recipes, such as homemade applesauce, caramel apples, and even applesauce cake, a tasty way to pair your favorite types of apples with enticing spices that bring out the flavor. Applesauce cake is not only delicious but also makes a great way to cut down on sugar and extra fat that typically abounds in most cakes. However, because applesauce is the main ingredient, applesauce cake is moist and plump and is ideal for breakfast, as a snack or dessert or whenever your sweet tooth arises.
Because applesauce cake is so enticing and flavorful, which means that it will go fast, you will need to make your own applesauce to get the best benefits, without all the additives and preservatives in most jarred varieties. Once you get the hang of this recipe, you will surely want to make it a family staple to use in holiday meals, as a cozy snack, or any other special occasion for your family.
How To Make Applesauce Cake
When preparing your applesauce pie, you can either add icing, frosting or nix them all together for less sugar intake. If you choose to add frosting or icing, a simple vanilla flavor adds a delectable touch to its spicy notes.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of clove
- 1/2 teaspoon of allspice
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 cup of applesauce
- 1/2 cup of raisins and walnuts(optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a baking dish and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, clove, and allspice until fully combined. Add the raisins and walnuts as well if you choose to use them.
- Next, in a small bowl, blend together the water and applesauce, then add mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until fully incorporated.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan and place into the oven. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes, or until fully cooked and golden brown.
- When cake is done, take it out of the oven and place it on a surface to cool for about 10-20 minutes.
- When the cake is cooled, take a small butter knife or spatula, and run it along the sides of the cake to loosen it. While holding the pan at 45 degrees, pop the cake out and gently set onto a clean surface.
- Add your frosting (optional) and serve.
Applesauce cake is a wonderful way to utilize all that fresh, homemade applesauce you’ve created. You don’t necessarily have to wait for fall to enjoy this delicious recipe, as it will surely become a crowd pleaser at any time.