Who doesn’t love pie? A tasty, flaky pastry that comes in dozens of flavors and varieties, its difficult for most of us to pass on a slice during the holidays or when you are visiting grandma’s house. Sometimes, you might have a craving and want to make one yourself, but the task might be a bit daunting because making some pies can be tricky.
There is one style of pie, however, that is super easy to make, and it only takes a few ingredients — key lime pie. A super-sweet dessert that is light and refreshing, key lime pie is a classic dessert that is delicious no matter if you eat a slice on the beach during vacation or after a big holiday meal. There is never a bad time for key lime pie, so the next time you have a craving, try out this easy recipe that will taste amazing every time you make it.
Easy Key Lime Pie Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- Zest of two large limes
- 1/2 cup key lime juice from 8-10 key limes (substitute regular lime juice if you can’t find key limes)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (Fahrenheit)
- In a medium bowl, use a fork to stir together the graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, and melted butter
- Keep mixing until the butter has completely saturated the graham cracker crumbs and sugar
- Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate or dish, patting down both the bottom and the sides
- Bake 12 minutes or until the crust has a golden brown color
- While your crust is baking, prepare the filling
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks until they are well combined.
- Add the lime zest and lime juice
- Continue to whisk well until you have completely combined all of the ingredients
- Set filling aside and let it thicken
- Remove pie crust from oven and let it cool to room temperature
- Pour your lime filling over pie crust
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes
- Remove pie from oven and place it on a cooling rack (the filling will set up as it cools)
- When cooled, put it in the refrigerator to chill
- Chill for at least one hour before serving
- Serve cold with whipped cream
The traditional recipe features a graham cracker crust, plus a tart, creamy filling — a perfect combination. But, if you would like to change things up a little, you can try these variations.
If you would prefer to add some chocolate flavor to your key lime pie, you can change out the crust. Instead of graham cracker, try this version with crushed Oreos.
While the traditional key lime pie is loaded with sugar and butter, this version is easier on the waistline. With only 200 calories per serving, this no-bake option uses fat-free cream cheese, gelatin, and yogurt.
Pastry Crust With Lime Curd and Meringue
This recipe takes a little bit longer to make, and also requires a few more ingredients than the classic version. But, the result is melt-in-your-mouth perfection.
Graham Cracker and Coconut Crust With Cream Cheese & Vanilla Whipped Topping
This recipe adds just a couple extra ingredients to the traditional recipe, but the changes make the filling creamier and give the crust a taste of coconut.
If the key lime filling isn’t enough citrus for you, try this version with a lemon wafer cookie crust. The lemon cookies add an extra burst of flavor that pair perfectly with the lime filling.
If you want to take the preparation time for the traditional recipe down to almost nothing, you can also opt for a ready-made pie crust and simply make the filling. But, no matter if you go for the classic recipe or a variation, you will end up with a perfectly delicious treat.