Finding out you have a gluten intolerance or celiac disease is a major bummer for beer lovers. Breweries all over the world are starting to offer gluten-free beers so everyone can enjoy a nice cold one every now and then. Gluten-free and gluten-reduced beers are made with either a significantly low amount of barley or none at all. Below you’ll find a list of gluten-free beers that anyone can enjoy. From crisp golden ales to bitter IPAs and creamy stouts, there is a delicious gluten-free beer out there for everyone.
1. Glutenberg Blonde
First on our list is Blonde by Glutenberg Craft Brewery. You don’t have to worry about any gluten sneaking it’s way into any of Glutenberg’s beers; every beer made at this brewery is made with exclusively gluten-free ingredients. The Blonde is the brand’s originator and most popular beer. It won the bronze award in the gluten-free category at the World Beer Cup in 2012 and the silver award at the 2013 Canadian Brewing Awards.
- Style: Blonde Ale
- Origin: Montreal, Canada
- ABV: 4.5%
- IBU: 15
- Aroma: floral hops, white pepper, pear, and fennel
- Flavors: white pepper, green tea, and lemon peel
- Ingredients: water, millet, corn, demerara, sugar, hops, yeast
2. New Belgium Glütiny Pale Ale
New Belgium has been making quality beers since 1991, so we knew that their gluten-reduced Glütiny Pale Ale would be an instant classic. Glütiny contains exotic Equinox hops that give it a refreshingly tart and tropical flavor. This beer is crafted with special enzyme that breaks down the gluten during the brewing and fermentation process. Because of this process, it’s important to keep in mind that there still may be small traces of gluten in the final product, so if you have an extreme gluten intolerance, you might want to try some the other beers on this list.
- Style: Pale Ale
- Origin: Fort Collins, Colorado
- ABV: 6.0%
- IBU: 30
- Aroma: papaya, mango, pineapple, pine, black currant, grapefruit, lemon citrus, green tea
- Flavors: light sweetness, light tartness, mild, bitter
3. Steadfast Oatmeal Cream Stout
Steadfast Beer Co. is a gluten-free craft brewery based in upstate New York. The brewery makes a handful of different beers, but it’s Oatmeal Cream Stout is by far the most popular. Steadfast only uses gluten-free fermentable sugar sources, like sorghum, honey, molasses, and oats. Though Steadfast beers are primarily available in the American Northeast, you can order it online and have it delivered straight to you.
- Style: Stout
- Origin: Albany, New York
- ABV: 6.0%
- IBU: 25
- Aroma: dark roast coffee, chocolate
- Flavors: coffee, chocolate, mild hop bitterness, roasty finish
- Ingredients: water, sorghum extract, brown rice syrup, certified gluten-free oats, molasses, lactose, tapioca maltodextrin, hops, yeast
4. Omission IPA
When [Omission]((https://omissionbeer.com/beerbeer) crafted to remove gluten. Omission offers four delicious gluten-free beers, among them a bold and hoppy IPA. During the brewing process an enzyme called Brewers Clarex is added to the fermentation tanks to break down gluten. The beer won Gold in 2015 at the Great International Beer & Cider competition as well as the Fourth Annual Gluten Free Awards. Omission’s IPA has the bitterness of a standard Northwest IPA, yet is balanced and smooth with a crisp finish.
- Style: IPA
- Origin: Portland, Oregon
- ABV: 6.7%
- IBU: 65
- Aroma: pine, citrus, grapefruit
- Flavors: pine, citrus, grapefruit
- Ingredients: barley malt, hops, water, yeast
5. Dogfish Head Tweason’ale
The brewers at Dogfish Head are famous for approaching beer brewing like mad scientists. They will put together ingredients that you would think are incompatible but, somehow, they turn them into a delicious beer. With their Tweason’ale, they have combined strawberries and mild sorghum to get a sweet and sour flavor that is incredibly refreshing.
- Style: Fruit Ale
- Origin: Milton, Delaware
- ABV: 6.0%
- IBU: n/a
- Aroma: fresh fruit, strawberries
- Flavors: tart, fruity and sweet, subtle strawberry
- Ingredients: water, sorghum syrup, strawberries, honey, yeast
6. Lakefront New Grist
One of the first of its kind, New Grist is brewed without wheat or barley, so gluten-free beer lovers can enjoy this brew without fear. Each batch is gluten tested before it’s bottled and shipped out.
- Style: Pilsner
- Origin: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- ABV: 5.1%
- IBU: 15
- Aroma: apple, fruity
- Flavors: fruity and smooth
- Ingredients: water, sorghum, rice, hops, yeast
7. Ghostfish Grapefruit IPA
Ghostfish loves to get adventurous with its gluten-free beers, and this bold and bitter Grapefruit IPA is something that will make you happy, especially if you love IPAs. This gluten-free beer made from buckwheat, millet, and brown rice earned the silver medal at the 2017 U.S. Open Beer Championship in the gluten-free beer category.
- Style: IPA
- Origin: Seattle, Washington
- ABV: 5.5%
- IBU: 85
- Aroma: grapefruit, citrus
- Flavors: grapefruit, citrus, bitterness
- Ingredients: water, sorghum, brown rice, candi syrup, tapioca maltodextrin, hops, grapefruit peel, yeast
If you are living a gluten-free life and have decided to try one of these beers, don’t get discouraged if you can’t find it in your local store next to the major beer brands. You might have to do a little searching at a liquor store with a good selection. And, if you can’t find something on this list, visit your local brewery to see if it has a gluten-free option.