The Cheesiest Grilled Cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 4 slices sourdough bread, pre-sliced
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 slices Gruyère cheese
- 2 slices Pepper Jack cheese
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 slices American cheese
- large skillet
- pastry brush
In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter with the garlic and thyme on low heat.
While the butter is simmering, start to assemble your sandwiches. Lay your slices of bread out and spread a teaspoon of Dijon mustard onto each slice.
On 2 of the slices of bread, layer the cheese. Add a slice of Gruyère cheese, a slice of Pepper Jack cheese, a slice of cheddar cheese, and a slice of American cheese.
Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to a large skillet and heat over medium heat.
While the skillet is preheating, use a pastry brush to brush the butter from the saucepan onto the top and bottom of both sandwiches.
Gently place your sandwiches into the hot skillet and cook until both sides are golden brown and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
This delicious grilled cheese recipe will leave you with an unforgettable lunch or light dinner. Sure, you could throw a couple of slices of bread and butter in a frying pan with some plastic-wrapped American cheese, but maybe you’re looking for more. The cheesiest grilled cheese sandwich is designed to be built upon and adjusted to your tastes. Here are a few ways you can change up your grilled cheese.
Switch Up The Bread
The slices of bread in your grilled cheese sandwich serve as the bookends for an ooey-gooey treat. The bread selection for your grilled cheese is almost as important as the type of cheese you use. Consider some of these bread options for your cheesy grilled cheese recipe:
- Using multigrain bread will add a hearty flavor to your grilled cheese. If you opt for a heartier bread such as multigrain, make sure you use a strong cheese that can stand out from the more substantial bread flavor.
- Ciabatta bread is perfect if you plan to add more ingredients to your grilled cheese. It’s a bit bulkier, and the outer crust helps the bread keep its shape, even in sandwiches with a lot of ingredients. Ciabatta bread is a much better option than a standard loaf of bread from the grocery store. If you plan on turning your grilled cheese into a light dinner, the more complex slices of bread are a great foundation.
Add Extra Fillings
Don’t hesitate to toss some extra ingredients into your grilled cheese. They can add a ton of flavor and help create a more dynamic meal. Here are a few ingredients you could add:
- tomato slices
- grilled chicken
- buffalo chicken slices
- fried eggs
- sliced apples
- pulled pork
Turn your grilled cheese into a culinary masterpiece. Add a few extra ingredients or use heartier bread to turn your cheesy grilled cheese into a beautiful dinner.