Side dishes have the power to make your dinners extra special. This black-eyed peas recipe is a simple dish you’ll want to make again and again. Though this recipe is delicious and super easy to make, bear in mind that it will take some time. You’ll need to allow the peas to soak overnight before you use them.
- 1 pound black-eyed peas
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- splash of Tabasco sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- large pot
- large skillet
- wooden spoon
Rinse the black-eyed peas and remove any small pebbles you find in the bunch. It doesn’t happen often, but they’ve been known to accompany peas. Once you have sorted the peas from the pebbles, place the peas in a large pot and submerge them in water. Soak them overnight, and then drain and rinse them before using.
In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped bacon, onion, red bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté everything with a wooden spoon for 7-10 minutes or until the bacon has rendered its fat and the onions are transparent.
Transfer the peas and the contents from the skillet to a crockpot. Add the cumin, oregano, turmeric, Tabasco sauce, chicken broth, and salt and pepper to the crockpot; stir to combine.
Close the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the peas are soft.
Using A Pot
If you don’t own a crockpot, you can use a large pot instead and follow these simple instructions:
- Place your oil, bacon, onion, bell pepper, and garlic into a pot; cook everything over medium-high heat until the garlic and onion brown.
- Add your spices and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Coat everything with your seasoning of choice before gently pouring in the chicken broth.
- Reduce to low heat and let the mixture boil for 25-30 minutes. Add your black-eyed peas and let them simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
Making It Your Own
We mentioned earlier how versatile this black-eyed peas recipe can be. You can make this recipe your own by adding any of these ingredients:
Our black-eyed peas recipe is sure to get your creative juices flowing!