Chili traditionalists will go wild for a warm bowl of creamy white chicken chili. Our white chicken chili is slow-simmered and jam-packed with tender chicken, great Northern beans, sweet corn, yellow onions, and spiced with peppery enchilada sauce.
This easy weeknight dinner is made deliciously smooth with the addition of velvety cream cheese and heavy cream. Top this comforting winter crockpot soup with your favorite shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, crunchy tortilla chips, and slices of fresh avocado.
Creamy White Chicken Chili
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15 ounce cans great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 10 ounce can enchilada sauce
- 24 ounces chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- slow cooker
- slotted spoon or tongs
- medium bowl
- two forks
Add chicken breasts to slow cooker. Add salt and pepper to taste, cumin, oregano, and chili pepper.
Next, add the diced onion, minced garlic, great Northen beans, corn, enchilada sauce, chicken broth, and chopped cilantro. Stir until well combined.
Cover and set the slow cooker to LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
After the chili has cooked, remove the chicken with a slotted spoon or tongs to a medium bowl. Shred the chicken using two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker.
Add the cream cheese and heavy cream. Stir to combine, cover the chili and continue to cook on HIGH or until the chili has thickened and is creamy.
Serve the soup in bowls topped with sour cream, sliced avocado, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, or fresh cilantro. Enjoy.
Creamy White Chicken Chili Made Easy
Crock pot white chicken chili slow-simmers your chili all day for a creamy, hearty soup for home cooks that want to set it and forget it. For those looking for a quicker alternative, prepare instant pot white chicken chili and have your warming soup ready in under an hour!
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Select the sauté setting on your instant pot. Drizzle some olive oil in the bottom of the pot. Add the yellow onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, until softened. Next, add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Next, add the great Northen beans, corn, enchilada sauce, chicken broth, and chopped cilantro. Do not stir.
- Layer the chicken breasts on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, followed by the cumin, oregano, chili pepper, and fresh cilantro.
- Secure the lid on your instant pot to sealing position. Cancel sauté, then select the manual setting. Set the cooking time for 15 minutes at high pressure.
- Perform a quick release after the cooking time has finished, and remove the chicken with a pair of tongs or slotted spoon. Shred the chicken using two forks, then return the chicken to the instant pot.
- Add the cream cheese and heavy cream. Stir to combine, cover the chili. Select the slow cooker function on your instant pot and then select the adjust button and hit the high setting. Continue to cook on high or until the chili has thickened and is creamy.
- Serve the soup in bowls topped with sour cream, sliced avocado, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, or fresh cilantro. Enjoy.