Crepes are not only a scrumptious breakfast pastry, but when layered with cream and fruit they become a decadent dessert. The best thing about a crepe cake is that they are quicker and easier to make than traditional cakes–no oven or mixer required. All you need is a couple of ingredients and a skillet.
What You’ll Need
- 1 3/4 cups of milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 lb strawberries
- 1 8 oz tub of whipped cream or 3 cups of homemade whipped cream
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the milk until it is warm, not hot.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, eggs, baking soda, and sugar. Next, add milk and vanilla extract and stir well. Then, add salt and melted butter.
- Stir the batter until it is smooth. A trick to remove lumps is to pour the batter through a mesh sieve into another bowl.
- Let the batter sit for 15 minutes at room temperature or place in the refrigerator for 1 hour (ensuring to stir it before using).
- While the batter is sitting, thinly slice the strawberries.
- When you’re ready to use the batter, heat a non-stick skillet on medium and lightly coat with butter.
- Pour 1/3 cup of batter to the skillet in a swirling motion. Cook the crepe for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a small rubber spatula, quickly flip the crepe.
- Repeat this process for the remainder of the batter.
Layering the Crepes:
- On the first crepe layer, scoop out a thin layer of whipped cream and spread using a small spatula or butter knife.
- Then, add a layer of sliced strawberries.
- Place another crepe on top and repeat the same process.
- When you get to the last layer, add an additional layer of whipped cream on top of the strawberries to prevent the strawberries from showing through.
- Garnish with more strawberries if you wish.
Crepe Cake Variations
Rainbow Crepe Cake
Get a little creative with this rainbow crepe cake. The directions are just like the recipe above, instead, you will need to separate your batter into six separate bowls and add food coloring. Top with some colorful sprinkles and serve. Your guests will be impressed with this vibrant dessert.
Vegan Crepe Cake
This vegan-friendly recipe is similar to the one used above, but you will be swapping the dairy milk with a milk alternative and omitting the use of eggs. Instead of using whipped cream, craft a yummy dairy-free coconut cream to spread in between the crepe layers. You can add any fruit you desire or topping your little vegan heart desires.