Chicken noodle soup is a savory dish consisting of noodles or pasta, chicken, vegetables, such as carrots, celery, onions, leeks, and peas, as well as herbs and other flavorings, such as parsley, salt, and pepper. Chicken noodle soup may also be simmered in water or chicken broth depending on your taste and whether the weather is steaming hot outside or wintery it is a fairly quick and simple meal to have on hand when you have a hankering for comfort food. Not all chicken soup is created equally, however, but that’s ok, as many people prefer their own unique spin on the food or choose to cook utilizing ingredients passed down from generation to generation and it doesn’t necessarily have to include noodles, as you may also incorporate dumplings, rice, or even barley to satisfy your craving.
Although chicken noodle soup is boiled and simmered in a pot, crockpot recipes enable you to get on with your day so you can have a healthy dinner without all the stirring and tending to that goes along with traditional soup recipes. If you are in the mood for something hearty or light, here is a scrumptious crockpot chicken noodle recipe that you will enjoy.
How To Make Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds of boneless chicken breasts
- 5 medium carrots
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 stalks of celery
- 1 red pepper
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried sage
- 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon of crushed dried rosemary
- 1 cup of broccoli florets
- 2 cups of egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese
- Saltine crackers (or another cracker of your choice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dice up the carrots, onions, red peppers, celery, and garlic.
- Add whole chicken breasts, carrots, onion, red pepper, celery and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Add olive oil, chicken broth, water, bay leaf, dried thyme, celery seed, dried sage, fresh parsley, and dried rosemary. Then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover for about six to seven hours.
- When the soup is complete and chicken is tender, remove the chicken breasts and shred or dice into small pieces.
- Add in the egg noodles and increase the temperature to cook for approximately 10 more minutes or until noodles are al dente.
- Return the chicken to the soup mixture.
- Add in lemon juice, and stir.
- Serve and top with parmesan cheese or crackers.
Chicken noodle soup is loved by everyone. Try this classic recipe and you’ll be making it for many dinners to come.