Peach cobbler is more than just a Southern staple; it’s a culinary dessert tradition. And with peaches currently at the peak of their season, now is the perfect time to craft our favorite fresh peach cobbler recipe, from scratch. Your guests will be more than impressed with your know-how. It’s sure to be a “peachy” way to end the summer season!
What You’ll Need
Before you can begin learning how to make peach cobbler, you need to assemble the necessary kitchen items and ingredients. Get started with our list.
- medium saucepan
- paring knife
- measuring cups
- baking dish (9×13)
- mixing bowls
- basting brush
- wooden spoon
- 6 fresh peaches
- 1/2 teaspoon pink salt
- 1/2 cup milk (2%)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 cup flour, all-purpose
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Now it’s time to tackle homemade peach cobbler. Let’s dive right into our easy recipe.
Step #1: Prep Step
Begin by preheating oven to 350 degrees. While it’s warming, peel your peaches according to our guide. Be sure to also remove the peach pits then slice the fruit before continuing with our favorite peach cobbler recipe.
Step #2: “Pan”demonium
Next, heat medium saucepan over medium heat. Add sliced peaches, a pinch of salt, 1/2 cup of white granulated sugar, and 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar. Stir occasionally as you cook for 2-3 minutes. The peaches should release juices and the sugar should begin dissolving. Once this happens, remove from stovetop and set aside.
Step #3: Butter Is Best
In a medium mixing bowl, microwave butter for about 15 seconds depending on your oven. Continue heating in increments of five seconds if not softened completely right away. Then, using the basting brush, coat the baking dish with the melted butter.
Step #4: Combination Station
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the rest of the sugar (both coconut and white granulated), flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, almond extract, and baking powder together. After evenly mixed, stir in the milk. Then, add mixture to your greased baking dish. With a spatula, smooth into even layer.
Step #5: Peachy-Keen
Add reduced peaches and syrup to baking dish with a spoon. Make sure to incorporate all the delicious juices, then top with cinnamon and nutmeg.
Step #6: Baking Beauty
Bake at 350 degrees for roughly 35 minutes, depending on your oven. If necessary, cook an additional few minutes but be careful not to bake more than forty minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for about ten minutes before serving.
Pairings + Variations
Now that you’ve mastered our easy peach cobbler base, let’s explore some pairing options and cool variations for this dish.
- We love to enjoy it with classic vanilla ice cream. Earn extra points with our homemade version.
- Top crispy and delectable cobbler with homemade whipped cream for some fluffy goodness.
- Feel free to remove the coconut sugar and instead substitute brown sugar from the above recipe.
- You can also remove the nutmeg and just use ground cinnamon instead. Additionally, consider garnishing with cinnamon sticks for an extra dose of charm.
- If it’s not peach season, simply use canned peaches instead of the fresh varietal. In that case, you can skip the stovetop step and jump right to the baking dish portion.
We hope you enjoyed our from scratch peach cobbler recipe! A homemade dessert is truly one of life’s greatest treasures.