Super Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 hamburger buns
- salt and pepper, to taste
- large skillet
- baking sheet
Add ground beef to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until the meat browns and season it with salt and pepper. Drain grease.
Add the onion and minced garlic to the ground beef and cook for 2 minutes.
Stir in the Dijon mustard, ketchup, barbecue sauce, and Worcestershire sauce until well combined.
Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
While the sloppy Joe mix is simmering, toast the hamburger buns on a baking sheet under the broiler for 2 minutes or until the buns are golden brown.
Fill the toasted hamburger buns with the sloppy Joe mixture. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Sloppy Joes are the ultimate easy-to-prepare meal. They have a savory, juicy, and meaty flavor, and they’re everyone’s favorite quick dinner. It doesn’t matter if you got home from work an hour late — sloppy Joes will be there for you. If this sloppy Joe recipe doesn’t hit the spot, there are plenty of ways to customize this American classic to your tastes.
How To Make Sure You Achieve Super Sloppy Joes
If you think your super sloppy Joes won’t be sloppy enough, here are a few ways to make them extra sloppy. These methods are guaranteed to deliver the true sloppy Joe dining experience.
- Mix up the meats you use to create more complex flavors. Ground turkey, pork, or chicken will give the mix some exciting characteristics. You can try a fifty-fifty blend of two meats or try each on its own to see what you prefer.
- Anyone looking for a touch of sweetness in their sloppy Joe can try adding a bit of brown sugar or molasses. Our recipe contains barbecue sauce, which has a hint of sweetness. If you want to omit the sweetness entirely, use more tomato-based products such as tomato sauce or paste in your mix.
- You can create a heartier sloppy Joe mix by adding a few ingredients. Green peppers and other hearty vegetables are a great way to achieve this. The spiciness in your mix can be increased by adding chopped poblano peppers, green chilis, or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Sloppy Joe Toppings
Create a build-your-own sloppy Joe station to make this dish more exciting. Some popular toppings include:
- sliced dill pickles
- red onions
- potato chips
- American cheese
- sharp cheddar cheese
- fried eggs
Some ingredients in this recipe are not suitable for all diets. Here’s how you can modify it.
If you are following a vegan diet, you can replace the ground beef with canned or cooked lentils. Not all barbecue sauces are vegan. Check the ingredients for honey, anchovies, or milk products. Most barbecue sauces and ketchups are made with sugar, which could be processed with bone char. If you plan to omit barbecue sauce, add a touch of vegan-friendly sweetener to balance the flavor. Heinz ketchup is vegan-friendly. Worcestershire sauce contains anchovies, so don’t use it. Whole-wheat gluten-free burger buns are usually free of milk products commonly found in regular burger buns.
Sloppy Joes are a fun way to cap off a hard workweek. This simple but delicious recipe is a must-try.