Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon semisweet chocolate chips
- microwave-safe coffee mug
Add the butter, water, vanilla, and salt to the microwave-safe coffee mug; stir the ingredients to combine them.
Mix in the cocoa powder, sugar, and flour.
Microwave the mixture for 30 seconds. Remove the coffee cup from microwave and pour the chocolate chips into the center.
Microwave for 30-45 seconds or until the cake looks slightly moist. The center should be slightly melted. Be careful not to overcook the cake.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Chocolate mug cake is the perfect solution for those evenings when you’re craving a luscious dessert, but you don’t have the energy to whip up an entire batch of brownies. If you’re reluctant to keep a lot of sweets around the house, you can easily make a single serving. Satisfy your late-night sweet tooth with this delicious, moist mug cake. Remember to add your own personal touches, too!
How To Make Your Mug Cake Especially Decadent
Aside from adding a handful of chocolate chips for a more dramatic molten chocolate effect, there are plenty of other ways to liven up your mug cake, taking it to another tasty level.
- If you love having an ooey-gooey center, then you’ll swoon over a dollop of Nutella or peanut butter on top of your personal cake.
- A drizzle of salted caramel, hot fudge, or Hershey’s chocolate sauce will also pack a sweet punch.
- Deepen the chocolatey notes of your mug cake by blending one of these flavors into your mix: instant espresso, white pepper, orange, cinnamon, peppermint, or chili powder.
- Top your chocolate creation with a scoop of classic vanilla ice cream or some whipped cream.
- Toss some candy into your mug cake for more texture and sugary flavor. Add M&M’s, Snickers, Kit Kat, sprinkles, toffee bits, peanut butter chips, or even Reese’s peanut butter cups.
If you’re gluten-free, swap the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free variety such as King Arthur gluten-free all-purpose flour. All unsweetened cocoa powders should be gluten-free; however, beware of products with added ingredients that may contain gluten.
Swap the butter for a dairy-free alternative such as Earth Balance. Substitute Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips for regular chocolate chips. Check out this list from PETA for dairy-free unsweetened cocoa.
Chocolate mug cake is a quick and easy dessert solution. Try it the next time you’re craving an easy, delicious treat. It’s an excellent way to have some cake without dirtying a ton of dishes or shelling out cash at a bakery.